Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor or CASAC is a training for those who provide alcoholism and substance abuse COUNSELING. There is only one level of certification required in the New York state for substance abuse counselors. There are five domains of a CASAC training that includes assessment, counseling, case management, client, family and community education, and professional responsibility.
Primarily the the CASAC training focuses on the psychopharmacological and physiological aspects of drugs. The course content involves the study of signs, symptoms and stages of alcoholism. It also teaches you individual as well as group counseling skills and the ethics and importance of confidentiality. In these times it also focuses on family treatment and multicultural issues that can lead to alcohol and substance abuse in the first place.
What is the eligibility for a CASAC course in NYC?
You need to pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) Examination for Alcohol and Drug Counselors in order to be a substance abuse counsellor.
The CASAC training mandates the following requirements
- You must be at least 18 years of age;
- At least possess a High School Diploma
- Must be proficient in English
- You must live or work in New York State
- Pass a criminal check.
In addition to this you will require:
- 350 hours of training and education:
- 6,000 hours of supervised work experience in an Alcohol and Drug Abuse counseling centre or equivalent.
- Two CSAC supervisors should have supervised this experience.
- If you have an Associate’s degree in Human Services from an accredited organization then your supervised hours can be reduced by 1,000.
- If you have a Bachelor’s degree in Human Services discipline from an accredited organization then your supervised hours can be reduced by 2,000.
- If you have a Master’s degree in Human Services from an accredited organization then your supervised hours can be reduced by 4,000.
- You may also be able to substitute some of your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree for the training elements required.
Why do a CASAC training in the New York City?
The need for Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors is on the rise these days. There are more and more people struggling with alcohol and substance abuse these days and this calls for a need of professionals who can help them deal with their addiction. Professionals with the CASAC certification go on to work in substance abuse counseling centres with patients struggling with addiction and other problems, CASAC professionals also work as social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists, rehabilitation counselors, mental health counselors and substance abuse counselors. CASAC professionals also work with marriage and family therapists as well as school counselors.
How much do CASAS professionals earn in terms of Salaries?
Your salary may differ based on the job role you land up in. Different streams or industries may offer different pay packages. At an average a Substance abuse counselor can earn up to 42,000 dollars in a year. A clinical social worker can earn up to 60,000 dollars per year. While the average salary for a chemical dependency counselor and a Certified Addiction Drug and Alcohol Counselor can make approximately 40,000 dollars in a year.
How much does it cost to get a CASAC certification?
The fee for a CASAC course may differ. While, there are no institutions that currently provide free courses, there are some institutions that you can refer to for their low fee structure:
A normal CASAC programme in the New York City can cost up to 6,000 dollars! Here are some low cost options that you can refer to for your CASAC training and certification:
- The College of New Rochelle offers a course that can cost 3,638 dollars.
- The New York State Office Alcoholism and Substance Abuse offers a course that costs 750 dollars.